- Full Time
Braze (Nasdaq: BRZE) is a leading, comprehensive customer engagement platform that powers interactions between consumers and brands they love. With Braze, global brands like Burger King, Delivery Hero, HBO Max, Mercari, and Venmo can ingest and process customer data in real time, orchestrate and optimize contextually relevant, cross-channel marketing campaigns, and continuously evolve their customer engagement strategies. And we do it at scale – last fiscal year our customers used Braze to send approximately 1.5 trillion messages to billions of monthly active users.
But we’re so much more than our platform. Although we’ve recently grown to a team of over 1,300 people, Braze still buzzes with energy, collaboration, and transparency. We value curiosity, individuality, and tenacity—as part of the team, you’ll be encouraged to take your seat at the table and create your own destiny. Our values are inspired by our employees, which means Braze is a place where you can truly be yourself. We're growing, with a focus on building for the long term under tenured leadership and continuing to evolve for the better.
Need more proof? Braze is proudly certified as a Great Place to Work® in the U.S. and the UK. In 2022, Braze ranked #1 on Fortune’s Best Small and Medium Workplace in New York, #5 on Fortune’s Best Workplaces for Millennials in the US, and #11 on Fortune’s Best Medium Sized Workplace for Women in the UK.
You’ll find many of us at headquarters in New York City or around the world in Austin, Berlin, Chicago, London, Paris, San Francisco, Singapore, Tokyo, and Toronto.
*Please note that this role requires East Coast working hours*
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Braze is looking for a Senior Privacy Counsel to join our dynamic legal team. You will be responsible for providing privacy advice and support to a variety of teams in our rapidly growing organization. You will be a member of a high performing legal team, and will report to the Associate Director – Privacy & DPO based in London. You will work on a broad range of privacy matters with both internal stakeholders, prospects and customers.This role will have a global remit with a particular focus on US privacy laws.
You will have the opportunity to help develop, maintain and improve policies and processes, and to determine best practices and provide training and guidance at all levels of the business.
This role will work on a variety of data protection tasks at any given time. These will include:
- Monitor and implement compliance with, and be a subject matter expert in, US and global privacy laws. This includes tracking key regulatory developments, action and case law through continual education, research and engagement with privacy forums and networks.
- Collaborate with team members to update customer and vendor contracts and internal policies as needed to comply with the changing legal landscape.
- Draft talking points and summaries for senior management and customer-facing employees on significant developments in the legal and regulatory landscape,and respond to specific requests for advice from such customer-facing stakeholders.
- Review vendor DPAs
- Update employee and public facing privacy policies, including cookies policies
- Assist the Sales and Customer Success teams with prospect and customer privacy questionnaires and queries, and contribute to audits
- Advise on B2B marketing practices
- Work together with the DPO on compliance issues to ensure contracts, policies and processes meet both US and global standards, and serve to mitigate risk and ensure fulfillment of a “privacy-first” focused company
- Work on privacy aspects of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion company efforts
- Work with the DPO to continue to develop and grow a best-in-class Privacy Program. Contribute to written submissions on key metrics of the Privacy Program and ensure efforts are documented
- Work on regular tasks that form part of the Privacy Program, including data mapping, conducting privacy impact assessments, offering specialized trainings, assisting in preparing for and handling data incident responses and conducting periodic reviews of company policies and processes
- Serve as a point of contact across the company and be a strong advocate for a privacy-first culture
This is a great opportunity for a talented lawyer to join a leading technology company that is growing quickly and scaling wisely. We’re looking for an enthusiastic individual, team-player, quick thinker, ready to roll up his/her sleeves and get going! While you will be part of a team and be fully supported, the right candidate will be self-reliant in many aspects of data protection work.
WHO YOU ARE
- You have a law degree from an accredited US law school
- Ideally you are a CIPP/US and/or CIPP/E
- You are familiar and have a working knowledge of the GDPR, CCPA and CPRA and other US state privacy laws. You have a working knowledge of other global privacy laws
- You have 5-8 years of relevant legal experience, ideally in the tech industry, especially SaaS
- You have built or worked on company-wide privacy programs, a program that covers the following topics:marketing, people management, vendors and internal policies and practices
- You have some experience negotiating commercial deals
- You are tech-savvy and are a quick learner on new software tools
- You are data-oriented
- You have excellent negotiation, drafting, analytical, and communication skills
- You can manage multiple projects at once and will follow through, meet deadlines and take full responsibility for structuring and prioritizing your time
- You work both collaboratively and autonomously
- You have excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to facilitate win-win solutions
- You have some customer facing experience
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment, enjoy a challenge, are self-motivated with a can-do attitude, go the extra mile, and are willing to learn, pitch in and play a significant role
- You exhibit excellent attention to detail
- You have a fantastic sense of humor
WHAT WE OFFER
From comprehensive benefits to remote availability to flexible time off, we’ve got you covered so you can prioritize work-life harmony.
- Competitive compensation that includes equity
- Retirement and Employee Stock Purchase Plans
- Flexible paid time off
- Comprehensive benefit plans covering medical, dental, vision, life, and disability
- Family services that include fertility benefits and equal paid parental leave
- Global presence, dog-friendly offices, and remote availability
- Professional development supported by formal career pathing, learning platforms, and tuition reimbursement
- Community engagement opportunities throughout the year, including an annual company wide Volunteerism Week
- Employee Resource Groups that provide supportive communities within Braze
- Collaborative, transparent, and fun culture recognized as a Great Place to Work®
If you are a California resident subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act (“CPRA”) which comes into effect January 1, 2023, click here to understand how Braze processes your personal information and how you can exercise your rights.