With electric vehicles (EVs) expected to be nearly 30% of new vehicle sales by 2025 and more than 50% by 2040, electric mobility is becoming a reality. ChargePoint is at the center of this revolution, powering one of the world’s leading EV charging networks and a comprehensive set of hardware, software and mobile solutions for every charging need. We bring together drivers, businesses, automakers, policymakers, utilities and other stakeholders to make e-mobility a global reality.
Since our founding in 2007, ChargePoint has focused solely on EV charging and established a business model that's been validated by more than a decade in business and thousands of customers. As now a public company, we remain focused on broadening our market leadership and building on years of innovation. ChargePoint offers a once-in-a-lifetime chance to build our all-electric future and dominate a trillion-dollar market.
Join the team that is building the EV charging industry and make your mark on how people and goods will get everywhere they need to go, in any context, for generations to come.
Discover what it’s like to help build the fueling network of the future – check out our Engineering Blog.
What you will be doing
We are seeking an outstanding attorney with 12+ years of experience in global privacy and compliance to join our dynamic legal team as Sr. Director, Privacy and Compliance. The position will be responsible for building and leading our global privacy and compliance programs, analyzing legal requirements and providing guidance on applicable privacy, compliance and security requirements from the initial stages of design and development through launch and implementation. As a cross-functional team member, work with multiple stakeholders and advise on a wide variety of privacy and compliance matters, including security operations, security incident management, and negotiations with customers, partners and vendors on data privacy, security and access terms. This position requires a team player who is business oriented and will provide exceptional work product in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Own broad responsibility for all of ChargePoint’s legal privacy, security and compliance programs
- Build and be prepared to lead the compliance function while serving as a trusted advisor to personnel at all levels of the business, including leading compliance trainings
- Partner with the IT, Engineering, Data Governance and Security leadership, as well as other key functions, and their teams to review, design, implement and maintain scalable privacy and compliance operations
- Provide proactive, solution-focused and pragmatic advice on the implementation and impact of global privacy laws to product, engineering and other business teams, including matters related to partnerships, integrations, and other business opportunities.
- Refine, enhance and scale company-wide privacy and compliance operating processes
- Design, implement and maintain scalable compliance operations with documented goals, objectives, activities and metrics, including metrics that measure and improve the effectiveness of controls
- Advise on data protection and data handling standards and on appropriate disclosure, notification, and consent mechanisms
- Identify potential privacy and information security risks and provide practical risk-mitigation solutions
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering groups to understand their perspectives, processes, applications, projects and technologies to ensure compliance with applicable privacy laws and regulations while guiding the team to the desired goals
- Negotiate data access, protection and security agreements with customers, partners and other third parties
- Be the trusted partner working and influencing cross-functionally with leadership throughout the organization
- Investigate and advise on potential privacy issues and escalations related to corporate governance, regulatory and privacy inquiries, and external reporting.
- Support the security incident response team in the evaluation of, and response to, potential data breaches
- Oversee global privacy policies and company documents to reflect changing U.S. state-specific and international country-specific privacy laws
- Create and deliver cross-channel educational presentations and tools about relevant global privacy and compliance issues that are pertinent to the Company
- This individual will build and eventually lead the legal and compliance functions while serving as a trusted advisor to personnel at all levels of the business
- Handle special projects, as requested
What you will bring to ChargePoint
- Position requires a Juris Doctorate and strong preference for membership in good standing with a state bar.
- 12+ years of experience in building and operations privacy and compliance programs in the technology space (SaaS a plus), including deep in-house experience building and scaling privacy and security compliance operations for operations in North America, Latin America and Europe.
- Experience reviewing, designing, implementing and maintaining scalable privacy compliance operations with proven track record
- Expertise in privacy issues and legislation, and global privacy laws & regulations (e.g., GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, and other data protection frameworks)
- Strong organizational and project management skills, an ownership mindset, and the drive and desire to work in a face-paced, cross-functional environment.
- Experience collaborating with key diverse stakeholders
- Significant experience negotiation a wide range of privacy agreements
- Significant experience advising on a range of privacy issues, regulations and industry standards
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-moving environment where your role is constantly evolving, therefore being resourceful, flexible with an ability to adapt and manage client expectations in key
- Top tier legal and business judgment with the ability to quickly assess risk and prioritize
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with internal clients and outside groups to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Strong written/oral communication skills, ability to communicate complex legal issues in non-legal language
- Enjoy collaborating with no ego in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Experience in a global business environment
- Ability to deliver strong results with limited resources, under tight deadlines
Campbell, CA or US, Remote
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse team. ChargePoint is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
If there is a match between your experiences/skills and the Company needs, we will contact you directly.
ChargePoint is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants only – Recruiting agencies do not contact.