- Full Time
We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Privacy Engineering & Data Protection team aims to make Cruise a leader in self-driving consumer privacy. Cruise launched its self-driving ridehail service earlier in 2022, and we are quickly scaling; this an opportunity to influence the direction for privacy & data security at a company in its early stages of commercialization!
We are seeking candidates with experience managing engineering teams, and with software engineering chops, with experience in security & privacy, and excited to be on the cutting edge of self-driving technology. This Technical Lead Manager (TLM) will be managing the Privacy Infrastructure team—part of Privacy Engineering and Data Protection at Cruise. In this role, the TLM will be working with Privacy Engineers, Security Engineers, and teams across the company to build core tooling and infrastructure—with an emphasis on scaling our data mapping and tagging capabilities. The goal of this work is to understand and track sensitive data at Cruise, as well as empower teams to protect user’s data, making storing and processing data safe by default. This role will include a mix of management and technical work, with the potential to grow into an Engineering Manager.
We’re looking for someone who’s comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies to maintain user trust. We need your skills and passion to make it happen. Candidates could work in the office (if SF- or Seattle-based) or remotely.
What you’ll be doing:
Leading the Privacy Infrastructure team in maturing/expanding the scope for Cruise’s data discovery, mapping, and tagging tool.
Partnering with the team's Tech Lead to implement major software systems.
Driving new features in Cruise’s unified privacy metadata platform to automate data governance requirements like Data Subject Access Requests, deletion, and retention periods.
Developing and maintaining features across current-generation and next-generation Privacy infrastructure.
Participating in team’s planning, code reviews, and design discussions leading to continuous improvements in these areas.
Creating, deploying, and analyzing our infrastructure through infrastructure-as-code tools, (e.g., Terraform).
Investigating potential risks identified via data discovery/mapping tool, working independently to sample data, explore risks technically, engage data owners, and propose a path forward for managing the risk.
What you must have:
Excited to be on the cutting edge of data security & privacy problems. Motivated to protect individuals’ privacy.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a similar technical field or equivalent practical experience. 5+ years working experience as a software engineer or software developer or in a related field.
Experience managing software engineers
Proficiency in Python.
Experience delivering custom web applications.
Proficiency writing SQL queries.
Code maintenance and review experience in one or more general purpose languages.
Experience with the software development lifecycle.
Perseverance and negotiation skills with a track record of achieving good user outcomes.
Ability to communicate and collaborate across subject areas (e.g. engineering, legal, policy).
Candidates must have the ability to maintain and report against a work plan, and provide updates and status reports given scope and objectives.
Experience writing detections & alerts.
Familiarity with privacy laws, regulations, standards, and best practices such as CCPA, GDPR, and ISO 27701.
Experience with technical approaches to managing privacy risk.
Understanding of modern data warehousing.
The salary range for this position is $203,600 – 299,200. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and life insurance
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- One Medical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401(k) match
- Paid time off: vacation, sick, public health emergency, jury duty, bereavement and company holidays.
- Paid parental, family care and medical leave
- Family care benefits: fertility benefits, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (subsidized by Cruise).
- Non-remote employees: Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan, healthy meals and snacks
- CruiseFlex – a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) – a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
- We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.