- Full Time
Who we are
Samsara (NYSE: IOT) is the pioneer of the Connected Operations Cloud, which helps to digitize the world of physical operations, providing visibility and empowering entire sectors of our economy to become more safe, efficient, and sustainable. Founded in San Francisco in 2015, we now employ more than 2,000 people globally and collect more than 40 billion minutes of video footage and 5 trillion data points annually.
Working at Samsara means you’ll help define the future of physical operations and be on a team that’s shaping an exciting array of product solutions, including video-based safety, vehicle telematics, apps and driver workflows, equipment monitoring, and site visibility. As part of a newly public company, you’ll have the autonomy and support to make an impact as we build for the long term.
Recent awards we’ve won include:
Best Place to Work by Built In 2022
Deloitte Fast 500 Companies
IoT Analytics Company of the Year in 2022’s IoT Breakthrough Winners
Every year, we partner with our customers to deliver outcomes like conserving millions of gallons of fuel, saving millions of dollars, and creating positive environmental change. As more customers connect to our platform, our data grows, our AI models get smarter, and our opportunities expand.
About the role:
Samsara’s Legal team strives to create value and ensure that Samsara meets its mission by providing accessible and business-oriented legal guidance. We do so through creative problem solving, and excellence and transparency in execution, while exhibiting good judgment in providing ethical and empathetic partnership across the business.
We are looking to expand our in-house legal team with a versatile data protection and privacy lawyer. The ideal candidate will enjoy being a key contributor on a range of general data protection, privacy, and security matters, including helping evolve Samsara’s privacy program and compliance efforts, as well as helping to build out a best-in-class corporate legal function for a rapidly growing global business. The role requires the ability to collaborate closely with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to provide clear, business-oriented and proactive advice.
Our most successful team members excel in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and can drive projects of varying complexity in collaboration with multiple teams. They embrace new challenges and the unexpected, and can clearly distill their analysis into actionable and scalable guidance, always in consideration of the diverse needs of their business stakeholders. They are willing to jump in to assist their colleagues on any project, large or small, regardless of whether it falls within their scope of expertise.
You should apply if:
- You want to impact the industries that run our world: Your efforts will result in real-world impact—helping to keep the lights on, get food into grocery stores, reduce emissions, and most importantly, ensure workers return home safely.
- You are the architect of your own career: If you put in the work, this role won’t be your last at Samsara. We set up our employees for success and have built a culture that encourages rapid career development, countless opportunities to experiment and master your craft in a hyper growth environment.
- You’re energized by our opportunity: The vision we have to digitize large sectors of the global economy requires your full focus and best efforts to bring forth creative, ambitious ideas for our customers.
- You want to be with the best: At Samsara, we win together, celebrate together and support each other. You will be surrounded by a high-caliber team that will encourage you to do your best.
Click here to learn about what we value at Samsara.
In this role, you will:
- Support the ongoing development, implementation, and documentation of the Samsara privacy program in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide subject matter expertise and advice on data protection compliance obligations and privacy matters applicable to Samsara.
- Monitor compliance with Samsara policies, and the obligations set out in the relevant laws and regulations.
- Raise awareness and help create and deliver training to stakeholders at all levels in the organization to promote a positive data protection and privacy culture across Samsara.
- Refine Samsara’s incident response plan in accordance with emerging cyber regulations and other requirements.
- Track and assist the business to implement cybersecurity best practices from a legal perspective.
- Assist with data protection and privacy impact assessments, and develop and champion strategies to address any identified risks.
- Advise on appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect and safeguard personal data in support of the concept of Privacy by Design.
- Assist in timely response to complaints and data subject rights requests for adherence to statutory time limits/appropriate timescales.
- Support customer, commercial, and procurement negotiations as they apply to privacy.
- Anticipate privacy-related regulatory developments and help implement any necessary changes which may be required.
- Help drive the evolution of privacy metrics and key risk indicators in support of key stakeholder management and reporting.
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara's cultural principles (Focus on Customer Success, Build for the Long Term, Adopt a Growth Mindset, Be Inclusive, Win as a Team) as we continue to open new offices and scale globally.
Minimum requirements for the role:
- 4+ years of data protection and privacy experience in a law firm or in-house position, with prior in-house experience at a technology company preferred
- Outstanding interpersonal skills that allow for clear communication (both written and verbal)
- Interest in being a true partner to our business stakeholders and immersing yourself in the ins and outs of our business and the industry in which we operate
- Ability to build, develop, and maintain strong cross-functional relationships
- A high degree of professional integrity, ethics, and sound judgment
- Be a highly proactive self-starter who delivers quality work within tight timelines
- Be humble, adaptable and flexible, with a growth mindset and desire to work on a variety of matters
- J.D. from an accredited law school with strong academic credentials
- Membership in at least one U.S. state bar
At Samsara, we welcome everyone regardless of their background, race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, etc. We depend on the unique approaches of our team members to help us solve complex problems. We are committed to increasing diversity across our team and ensuring that Samsara is a place where people from all backgrounds can make an impact.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here if you require any reasonable accommodations throughout the recruiting process.
US Only: Please note that Samsara’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires all team members who will be meeting in person for business or working from one of our offices to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit regular testing. People who cannot be vaccinated for qualifying medical conditions, sincerely held religious beliefs, and other legally protected categories, may request an accommodation.
Full time employees receive an above market total compensation package along with employee-led remote and flexible working, health benefits, Samsara for Good charity fund, and much, much more. Take a look at our Benefits site to learn more.
At Samsara, we have adopted a flexible way of working, enabling teams and individuals to do their best work, regardless of where they’re based. We value in-person collaboration and know a change of scenery and quiet space to work is welcomed from time to time, but also appreciate that the world of work has changed. Our offices remain open for those who prefer to collaborate or work in-office, but we also encourage fully remote applicants. As most roles are not required to be in the office, we are able to hire remotely where Samsara has an established presence. If a role is required to be in a certain location and candidates do not have work authorization for that location, Samsara will conduct an immigration assessment. If the role is not required to be in a specific location, Samsara will move forward with the remote location that works best for the business. All offers of employment are contingent upon an individual’s ability to secure and maintain the legal right to work at the company.
Please note: Samsara does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward resumes to Samsara employees.