- Full Time
Who we are
Stripe is a financial infrastructure platform for businesses. Millions of companies—from the world’s largest enterprises to the most ambitious startups—use Stripe to accept payments, grow their revenue, and accelerate new business opportunities. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet, and we have a staggering amount of work ahead. That means you have an unprecedented opportunity to put the global economy within everyone’s reach while doing the most important work of your career.
About the team
Stripe will succeed at our mission of increasing the GDP of the internet only if we prove ourselves worthy of our users’ trust. Software engineers on the Data Privacy Technologies team do work that is a critical part of accomplishing this mission by abstracting away data security and privacy concerns for Stripe and its users.
What you’ll do
The Data Privacy Technologies team builds systems and tools to allow Stripe to deeply reason about and protect our users’ data, at scale. As an engineering team, we leverage data classification as well as cutting-edge pseudonymization techniques such as tokenization, redaction, filtering, and masking.
- Design, build, and operate core infrastructure (e.g., APIs, services and frameworks) and tooling used by all of Stripe’s engineering teams, for example to annotate and automatically de-identify sensitive data
- Improve engineering standards and processes
- Make impactful decisions about systems, productivity, security and privacy — their edge cases, failure modes and tradeoffs
- Collaborate closely with other engineering teams and cross-functionally with Legal, Product, Compliance and Operations teams to encode best practices for data protection into how products and infrastructure are built
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who meets the minimum requirements to be considered for the role. If you meet these requirements, you are encouraged to apply. The preferred qualifications are a bonus, not a requirement.
- 5+ years software engineering experience in a high-stakes production environment
- Empathy, excellent communication skills and a deep respect for the power of collaboration
- A learning mindset, regardless of level or experience
- The ability to think creatively and holistically about reducing risk in a complex, fast-changing environment
- The ability to drive next steps when encountering ambiguous problems without clear ownership
- Privacy, security, data governance and/or data platform engineering experience