- Full Time
Toast is driven by building the restaurant platform that helps restaurants adapt, take control, and get back to what they do best: building the businesses they love.
Toast seeks a self-motivated, driven and experienced privacy attorney with domain-specific expertise across a wide range of privacy subject matters. The Privacy Counsel’s primary role will be to support Toast’s Assistant General Counsel, Privacy with the continued development, implementation and management of a comprehensive global privacy program. The ideal candidate will be a team player that is comfortable supporting a fast-growing global business and partnering with various functions and business units across the organization. This is a great opportunity for someone to gain actual hands-on experience within a number of privacy-specific domains and to help build out and manage Toast’s privacy function.
About this roll* (Responsibilities)
- Support Toast’s privacy lead with the development, implementation and management of a comprehensive global privacy program (including policy and template development, individual rights compliance, training, third party management, incident response etc)
- Provide specialist advice on all aspects of privacy law and regulation within the business, including but not limited to the CCPA/CPRA, the GDPR, GLBA, HIPAA, marketing (CAN-SPAM, TCPA and online advertising) and data breach notification requirements
- Provide privacy and security-focused drafting and contract negotiation support to the commercial legal team for new vendor, partner and customer agreements (and third-party management generally)
- Support M&A initiatives and post-acquisition integration efforts on the privacy side.
- Support the development and ongoing maintenance of our personal data inventories and flow diagrams
- Manage the privacy email account and address complaints and/or individual rights requests as they arise
- Monitor and assess the impact of new privacy and security regulatory developments and the resulting impact to Toast’s business units
- Partner closely with all functions (e.g. product, engineering, marketing, HR) and business units (e.g. Guest, FinTech, Employee Cloud, Commerce) to provide both project-specific and day-to-day support
Do you have the right ingredients*? (Requirements)
- A J.D. from an ABA-accredited U.S. law school, and membership in good standing to at least one state bar
- 3-6 years of related data privacy experience
- CIPP or similar certification preferred
- Broad subject matter experience across the privacy spectrum and familiarity with digesting and implementing global and sectoral-specific privacy legislation (e.g. CCPA/CPRA, the GDPR, GLBA, PIPEDA, HIPAA)
- Experience negotiating privacy and security provisions in contracts
- Experience managing large cross-functional privacy projects preferred
- Policy drafting experience (both internal and external-facing) preferred
- Ability to break down complex and often ambiguous requirements into actionable advice
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, diverse, inclusive and open-minded office environment and contribute to the thriving culture
- Sense of humor and easygoing attitude preferred
*Bread puns encouraged but not required
Our Spread* of Total Rewards:
- Unlimited Vacation
- Sabbatical opportunity after five years
- 401(k) and matching
- Medical, dental, & vision coverage
- Mental Health Benefits
- 100% paid childbirth recovery medical leave
- 16 weeks of 100% paid parental leave
- Eligibility for 100% paid medical or family leave
- Subsidized backup childcare
- Professional Development Reimbursement Program
- Home office and telecommunications stipends
- Free access to Certified Financial Planners
- Commitment to Employee Wellness through resources such as a quarterly Wellness Stipend
- Various peer and company recognition programs
We are Toasters
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is Baked into our Recipe for Success.
At Toast our employees are our secret ingredient. When they are powered to succeed, Toast succeeds.
The restaurant industry is one of the most diverse industries. We embrace and are excited by this diversity, believing that only through authenticity, inclusivity, high standards of respect and trust, and leading with humility will we be able to achieve our goals.
Baking inclusive principles into our company and diversity into our design provides equitable opportunities for all and enhances our ability to be first in class in all aspects of our industry.
Bready* to make a change? Apply today!
Toast is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process. As part of this commitment, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities to enable them to access the hiring process. If you need an accommodation to access the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For roles based in the United States: As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our employees and their families, all individuals entering our US workspaces are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation.