- Full Time
See yourself at Twilio.
Join the legal team as our Director and Managing Counsel, Privacy reporting to the Chief Privacy Officer.
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We're on a journey to becoming a global company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business.
About the job
Twilio’s legal team is seeking a Director and Managing Counsel, Privacy to lead our international team of privacy attorneys, help mature our privacy program and support our global privacy strategy. Twilio is looking for a leader who lives the Twilio Magic and has a demonstrated track record of leading and developing a team of privacy attorneys and advising in a wide range of areas. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented, looks for opportunities to scale and improve processes to improve efficiency and client service, and prides themself on offering practical advice in a manner that is understandable by non-lawyers. This job is for you if you believe in the importance of data privacy, but understand the practical obstacles of implementing those principles in a complex, global and fast-paced global technology company, have experience working cross-functionally to overcome those obstacles, and enjoy the challenge of it all.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage and develop a team of privacy attorneys.
- Collaborate closely with the privacy governance team to support compliance, including BCRs, APEC CBPR certification, audits and PIAs.
- Advise on privacy laws in EMEA, APJ, LATAM and North America and influence law and policy in partnership with our policy team.
- Counsel product, engineering and legal teams regarding global privacy law and obligations, and support privacy by design within product lifecycle development processes.
- Counsel and support our Commercial/Procurement/Carrier legal teams with commercial negotiations and our Corporate team with M&A
- Counsel functional teams, including the People Team, Security, Sales, Marketing, Data Analytics.
- Develop tools and training for legal and non-legal functions.
- Take a leading role in supporting the Chief Privacy Officer with strategy and policy development, OKRs, and as a member of Twilio’s Privacy Committee.
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn't followed a traditional path, don't let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- A licensed to practice law in the US and in good standing with your local bar.
- 10+ years of legal experience in the product and non-product privacy field, at least five of which should be in an in-house environment and at least 2 years at a director level with significant privacy focus during this time.
- Experience advising on privacy laws in EMEA, APJ, LATAM and North America and influencing law and policy in partnership with a policy team.
- Experience counseling both product business units and legal teams regarding global privacy law and obligations, and supporting privacy by design within product lifecycle development.
- Experience advising on employment privacy both in and outside the US.
- Experience negotiating data protection terms with customers and vendors, and generating sales enablement materials in relation to privacy.
- Experience in advising sales, marketing and related data analytics teams.
- Experience serving as the privacy subject matter expert during M&A due diligence, contract negotiation and integration.
- Experience conducting or supporting privacy impact assessments and providing audit support.
- Experience managing data breach situations and notifications.
- Experience of supporting a Chief Privacy Officer or other executive responsible for Privacy in areas such as risk management and governance, reporting and escalations.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, strong communication skills, quick learner, and a strong sense of initiative.
- Experience managing and developing other attorneys and leading a team, with the ability to act as a “Player / Coach,” being both able to provide practical privacy legal counsel and manage/mentor a team of junior and senior attorneys.
- Ability to develop highly effective and collaborative partnerships with privacy governance specialists and other internal stakeholders, influence and drive outcomes.
- Ability to triage and prioritize a heavy workflow in alignment with enterprise and privacy team priorities, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Experience counseling organizations in relation to communications privacy laws, such as ePrivacy, ECPA, CIPA, and global anti-spam laws, as well as sector specific laws, such as HIPAA and GLBA, is highly desirable, as is experience counseling teams developing AI/ML products and services.
- Experience in supporting the implementation and governance of Binding Corporate Rules.
- At least one CIPP certification is strongly preferred.
This role is remote and is not eligible for hire in San Francisco, Oakland or San Jose, CA, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Washington, Pennsylvania or the surrounding areas.
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That's why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you're ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn't what you're looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $193,760.00 – $242,200.00
- This role may be eligible to participate in Twilio's equity plan. All roles are eligible for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.