US Government, 400 Utah State Board of Education
- Full Time
This position is primarily remote with occasional days in the office and potential for in-state travel (“day trips”). Minimal overnight travel may be required. As a Student Data Privacy Specialist you will have access to resources (e.g. software licenses, creativity tools), as well as a fulfilling career that includes helping others, being creative, informed problem-solving, continuous learning, and teaching.
The start date for this position is flexible, as we recognize that current K-12 employees may wish to finish out this school year before starting a new position.
As the Student Data Privacy Specialist , you will:
- Become an expert in student data privacy and data protection laws and best practices
- Create privacy training materials for educators and other school and district employees, such as interactive training modules, one-page explainers, animations, and videos
- Establish and maintain positive, supportive, professional relationships with privacy and security point people in districts and charter schools across the state
- Work with districts and charter schools to evaluate their current privacy practices, and make purposeful changes to improve those practices and meet state and federal privacy laws
- Provide professional development both virtually and in-person to district and charter school administrators and educators
- Answer privacy questions from districts and schools
- Support districts and charter schools in creating and maintaining a “metadata dictionary,” as required by Utah law
- Receive and address privacy complaints and concerns from parents and families
- Support in-agency data governance efforts (e.g. documentation, training)
- Collaborate with team members
- Give and seek critical feedback to improve team products and services
- Adapt resources and guidance to the real-life needs of districts and charter schools
- Prioritize work based on the real-time needs of districts and charter schools
- Perform other related tasks as assigned
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who:
- Has experience in public schools, in any capacity (e.g. teacher, counselor, administrator, district employee, secretary, etc.)
- Has strong interpersonal skills
- Is willing to develop a deep understanding of student data privacy laws, regulations, and best practices (you don’t need to be an expert yet, but you need to be willing/capable of becoming one)
- Can clearly communicate ambiguous and complex information
- Graciously gives and seeks critical feedback
- Is self-motivated
- Has a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- Has excellent written and oral communication skills
- Is proficient in using Microsoft tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and Google tools (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.)
- Has the ability to problem-solve complex issues
- Has proven ability to manage stakeholder relationships; proven consultative skills
- Can work well in an ambiguous and rapidly changing environment
- Can manage and complete priorities and communicate expectations
- Has experience with digital content creation (e.g. interactive training modules, infographics, animations, videos)
Why You Should Join Our Team
Working for USBE affords you the opportunity to help make a difference across the State. USBE professionals know they are serving a higher purpose because their work impacts the lives of Utah students. The student-focused culture helps create a friendly work environment.
Additionally, you will receive an excellent compensation package which includes generous paid time off, top notch retirement plan options, and a variety of medical insurance plans. This allows you to stay healthy, secure your financial future, and spend more time with loved ones. For more information regarding the benefits we offer please click here.
The Utah State Board of Education employs over 300 employees who work in such diverse areas as information technology, educational standards and curriculum, finance and auditing, charter schools, data and statistics, child nutrition programs, student advocacy services, and special education. Click here for more information about the Utah State Board of Education (USBE).